Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Ladies Unaccompanied

Finallly I can Vent!!!

Now someone please tell me if I have a right to be angry or not?

I was in Abuja a couple weeks ago and after work decided to have a drink with my mainest chic in town G-Watson  and catch up on each other`s lives ( well mostly her listening to my bickering about work and my sucky job)..

Since we were in Area 11 ( I know right,,,Ash Town) we decided to pop around the corner and toss back a few Smirnoff`s and some suya. Besides I lived in Area 11 so all u need to do is take a walk down Port Harcourt Crescent  and make a choice amongst the span of joints. The Usual 'Standing Committees' ( ash babes) had already started making their appearance , as early as 6:30pm...A Gurls got to make a living right? I wasnt bothered. Area 11 is notorious for harboring 'standing committees ' and we all know that. No shocker there! At the entrance to the first joint we decided to visit, there were guards at the gate requesting payment . HUH?? ( In my mind I was going...Oil subsidy removal go do wandas! )

Now I would usually pay my fee and ,move in but I the fact that drinking joints now require an entry fee didnt sit well with me..haba now! . My blatant no couldn`t be more resonating ( Call me cheap if you want , Bros na outside we di sitdown...U want make I pay fee to 'enter' outside?). I demanded to know why I have to pay 500naira to sit outside and the guard goes..

 " Madam, All women get to pay before they enter".
  'Why?", I asked, already getting really furious.
"Let`s just go some place else, this is ridiculous," pleaded Georgia. But I was already fuming as the guard responded " Na the price that for any woman unaccompanied by a man".

For a minute there I saw RED!!! " Oya! Call me your Manager!", I wailed! " This is complete and Utter NONSENSE". So pissed off was I , I was determined to tell the ' manager" a piece of my mind and come rain, come shine , this is where I was going to have my beer and so not in the company of any man and I wont pay no 500 naira!!! phew! Let me catch my breathe!

The guys tried to explain that we will be served a drink and its just to discourage the prostitutes from coming in to occupy the tables , thats why they demand 500naira from everywoman....God did that add insult to Injury! I felt a sting in my throat and knew I just might cry from this crap! This is 2012 for crying out loud!

I think thats when I lost the last fibre of civility in me and couldn`t have scolded him any harder. I demanded the manager come and tell me that himself!  Georgia was visibly pissed as well and though we both agreed its better to just leave ..I just couldn`t take this kind of insult and after making way to leave, decided to come back and insist on going into the compound.  When the guards saw that , really we are not ash babes and just needed to chill out and have a drink, finally let us in ( I think another man who was going in also talked to them but I couldn`t see past my anger) .


Now I have one Questtion? How does Making Prostitutes Pay for their entry discourage Prostitution and How difficult is it to differentiate an Ash from an UnAsh babe? Maybe I should start paying attention to the long flowing gowns  and slippers I get into before leaving home...They might be making a diferent statement.

All the same we still downed out drinks and suya and had a good evening......

I Also hear you get to pay to enter into the clubs at Hilton , Sheraton etc if you go as ladies only. 

So Ladies if you are going for a gurl`s night out , be sure to have some cash in your pocketbooks to pay your way in as ' Ladies Unaccompanied".... ...

No comments:

Post a Comment