Sunday, April 13, 2014

Giving gifts in Africa: Kini big deal? ( what`s the big deal)



A friend of mine buzzed me saying : hmmmm people go kill man with wedding gifts here ooh! How can you give somoene a gas bottle as a wedding gift? While I was rolling on the floor, laughing i thought ...why not? if the married couple need one , sure....I hope they have a gas cooker though!

And then i got to thinking about the weird gifts I have received and GIVEN! I am good at laughing at myself so I wont be shy to say...meeeen! Me too I don rub no be small!!

I remember in 1995 ( i think) our   english language teacher organised a raffle draw and each person you picked you were supposed to bring them a gift on valentine`s day..I saved up money and bought a nice brandnew T-shirt for my class-valentine, parcelled it and gave her.. In return she gave me 5-chewing gum!!!! I DI STILL VEX in 2014!!!LOL

That was in form 2 GBHS Bamenda. So guess what ? When we were in form 3, same thing was done. i picked a different girl`s name but i was already a wounded Valentine. As valentine`s approached i didint even have any money for a gift...i thought hard and decided between bringing her raw black beans ( heck she will cook it!) or going to my grandma and harvesting fruits! i finally decided on fruit and lo and behold on Valentine`s day I presented her with a PAWPAW: freshly harvested from my grandma`s backyard! No parcelling! (chai!)

THERE! If you dont want it , give it back! LOL.....I know I am not the only one who had made this kinda gaff...Anyways in form four i picked a boy Valentine and got him a nice sweater in the school uniform colours...I was happy to see him wearing it to school....And my Valentine ( Sweetheart Laeti) bought be 3 shirts that she perfumed ..I wore them till i got to University!
Its all about the gesture right??

No comments:

Post a Comment